1. Abandoning the taking of life.
2. Abandoning taking that which is not given.
3. Abandoning the sexual act.
4. Abandoning lies.
5. Abandoning intoxicants.
6. Abandoning large and high beds and thrones.
7. Abandoning food at improper times. (Take ~two vegetarian meals before the noon hour.)
8. Abandoning perfume, ornaments, and so forth; abandoning singing and dancing.
A suggested text to learn more about the practice and benefits of the Eight Mahayana Precepts is "The Direct and Unmistaken Method" by Trijang Dorje Chang and Geshe Lamripa, compiled and translated by Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche, available from Wisdom Publications.
Website admin: Nathan Foster.